Sunday, November 02, 2008

Day before election eve

I have hope that things will turn out for a better world. I came to this country 44 years ago. I had hopes that my choice to come to America for a life free of prejudice would free my soul. Things were not quite what I expected, and the last eight years were a rude wake-up call. I could not have foreseen that the collective decision-making power in this country has slowed to a snail's pace. I started to doubt that my choice had been made wisely. I knew that the place where I came from was not where I wanted to be. I completely embraced the American way-of-life. Often people tell me that I don't have an accent. I took great care to fit in because I loved the place I was able take in society, and that it was of my own choosing.

What I didn't realize, as I studied to be as American as could be, was that I was chasing a dream that was more elusive than just being reborn into a new world. I wanted it but it did not present itself the way I had anticipated.

That's why this election means much. I hope we do not expect too much. America is looking for new leadership. I for myself am only looking to a time when starting small will again be possible. Let the young be again able to fully realize their potential. Let it be possible for anyone to come from humble beginnings again.

Our economic system is like a puffed up balloon. All it takes is a pin prick to make it collapse. Let the lies die that promised great riches to only the few. It's time that this country wake up from its slow leaden ways and honor again the self-made man or woman. Let's share again and maybe let's accept ideas again that come as they did when Phoenix arose from the ashes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home