Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Dental Insurance

Wouldn't it be much better to have just one insurance for the whole body, instead of two, one for the body, and one for the gums and teeth? I suggest everyone lobby to have dental insurance be included in a future revamping of the health maintenance system. The way it is right now, it is as if the jaw and teeth don't count when it comes to health maintenance. I find it rather funny that dentists and doctors don't even talk to one another. I read recently that the bacteria that cause gum disease are the same that also cause heart disease. It seems they know that in Germany. That's where I got the information. They don't really know that here. Or do they not want to know? To clarify the problem, I would like to be the devil's advocate and ask: why don't we have a separate insurance entity for the bones only, or another one called blood insurance in case the patient has a blood disease. How about skin insurance. Skin is the largest organ in the body, and it is so different from let's say our teeth. I forgot to mention that the jaw is usually not covered by either dental or medical insurance. It is the limbo part of our bodies. I had my own experience with that when I had to have a bone-transplant the size of a quarter from the lower jaw bone to the area right above my upper front teeth. The oral surgeon charged me nearly $3,000.- for that, but neither the dental nor the medical insurance felt it was in their sphere of influence. So, I was left with the bill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home