Friday, June 29, 2007

Heaven-sent vs. man-made

It is so strange to know that people listen to electronic music in favor of live music when they don't even know what they are missing. Music is alive; it swings through the room; and when you play it, it fills your heart with joy. It is new every time you play. An electronic listening device is like taking supplements in pill form instead of eating natural food.

Take vitamins for instance, physicians recommend pills instead of replenishing your life-blood with things nature made. The sun gives you a free tan and good bones and health to boot. And here is the shame: When I asked an orthopedic surgeon if it wouldn't be a good idea to give my rickety son some sunlight to improve his condition, he said: "Oh no that's not necessary. He is getting it in his vitamin pills." That comment was not heaven-sent. That doctor had not yet even diagnosed the osteomalacia that was wracking his tiny body. If I were a conspiracy-theorist I would say he did it on purpose; since I am not, I can only attribute his response to a herd-mentality that allows the prevailing thought to be guided only by what is said more often and louder. I wished the sun weren't as quiet. Wouldn't it be good if the sun could shout its favors from the roof-tops? Heaven-sent is free! When I play the music I play for free. It's alive. It's not a pill, it's not from a can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home